[RE-wrenches] Wire sizing calculator online

William Miller william at millersolar.com
Sun Feb 3 19:47:53 PST 2013

Carl:

You are very welcome.

I'd be willing to provide a metric chart.  I need some information to get
started.  In the US, practices are dictated by our NEC which provides the
resistance values for standard wire gauges.  By putting the values in the
Code, it gives all parties a reference and (hopefully) avoids arguments
about conflicting data.

I downloaded the New Zealand Electrical Code of Practice (NZECP 51:2004)
and did not find in it any resistance values.  Is this the correct document
to look in?  Are resistance values in there and I am just not finding
them?  If the values are not in the NZECP, where do professionals in New
Zealand look for the resistance values?

There is a slight difference in resistance (impedance) between AC and DC
circuits as listed in the NEC.  I used the higher values to allow
conformity in all cases.  Let me know if there is a different consideration
for AC versus DC in New Zealand.

Do you know what other Metric based nations use for determining wire
resistance values?

Thanks in advance.

William Miller