[RE-wrenches] generator suggestions

Dan Fink danbob88 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 12:32:26 PST 2013

Jay;
The "standard" seems to be 2-3% derate for every 1000 feet above sea level
for gasoline, diesel or LP gas generators, and supposedly more like 5% for
natural gas. (in general we don't work in areas that have natural gas
service, we only do off-grid). So the propane de-rate for altitude is no
worse than the diesel or gasoline de-rate, it's just added on top of it. In
practice, we are not seeing that big a hit, but it is hard to really
judge. Also, air-cooled generators don't cool as well at high altitudes and
tend to run hot.

A fairly common troubleshooting call we've seen in the past is clients who
have purchased cheap portable generators from Home Depot, Harbor Freight
etc. and then find that they can't tune them for anything above 6000 feet
-- the carb adjustment screws don't go that far, and the fine print in the
warranty actually says 6000 ft max. Ouch! They run so poorly that very few
modern inverter/chargers will even look at their input. I've been a local
firefighter for 14 years now, even worse problem with chainsaws (2-stroke).
We've learned how to bust out the plastic "EPA stops" on the carb adjust
screws, with the of course unofficial instructions to throw the saw into
the fire if the EPA shows up......

Never had the slightest high-altitude issues with the Honda x000i series
running OK, and I have no idea why. The de-rate factor is certainly still
there, but no issues idling or running, no matter what the draw. My Honda
3000i issues are from a different cause I think; there is an extensive
thread on that in the archives here that I started in July 2011 I think.

DAN FINK