[RE-wrenches] high insolation value and inverter undersizing

Jason Szumlanski jason at fafcosolar.com
Mon Jan 28 05:29:50 PST 2013

I found the latest module "rightsizing" paper by Enphase pretty
interesting. It does stand to reason that there are a lot of hours in the
day where the inverter is producing less than rated power, so increasing
the module size makes sense. Obviously there is an optimum point in every
system where clipping exceeds gains, but that's virtually impossible to
nail down due to so many factors being involved. I think the point would be
that PV mods are coming down in price so much that "rightsizing" is
basically equivalent to "upsizing," within reason, of course. Spending an
extra 25% on PV might increase the installed system cost by 5-10%.

*Jason Szumlanski*

*Fafco Solar
*