[RE-wrenches] Equipment Rating vs. Terminal/Lug Rating

August Goers august at luminalt.com
Thu Jan 24 11:58:48 PST 2013

Hi Chris,

Here are my thoughts on your questions/notes below. Please note that I'm in
no way an expert in this field, I've only had to deal with it from time to
time through our workings with various situations and AHJs.

1.       I believe terminal and equipment ratings can vary within one piece
of equipment. Even a typical breaker might have a 70°C rated terminal but
is only rated at 40°C max operating temperature. I would think that this is
the manufacturer's decision on what rating to apply to their overall
equipment - and it might very well be driven by a UL type test but I don't
know. I've called inverter manufacturers a few times to try to figure out
what their terminal and or equipment temperature ratings are. Most of the
time they don't know. More recently I've been told 75°C but wasn't given
any documentation to prove it. I just saw a recent SunPower branded
PowerOne inverter manual which stated it has 90°C terminal ratings.

2.       NEC 110.14(C) addresses this a bit. My understanding is that the
current standard for equipment rated over 100 A is 75°C (and 60 °C for less
than 100 A) but that older equipment, say 40 years + old, was 60°C. This is
what our inspectors in San Francisco have told me and seems to be
consistent to what I see on the equipment labels (we take digital photos of
equipment labels for each project) for existing equipment. Once again, this
is only a rough rule of thumb and I'm sure that there are other temp
ratings for certain types of equipment. For example, I'm looking at a
Murray LC008DF residential load center which states "Size wire only to 60°C
or 75°C ampacity limits.  Size wire in accordance with breaker markings and
wire bending space requirements." The breaker then in turn says "CU-AL
60/75°C WIRE."

3.       Good question.

4.       I guess that would be specified in the equipment manual or maybe
be some internal manufacturer documentation. Or maybe once again a
UL-driven type requirement?

5.       Most modern load centers, panel boards, disconnect switches that
I've seen are all 60/75 °C rated. I'm looking at the device label on a
Square D DU324 disconnect and it says "Lugs suitable for 75°C CU - AL
conductors."

Anyway, this might provide some info for you. Do you have a particular
issue in mind that you're trying to solve for?

Best, August