[RE-wrenches] off grid PV connected to generator

SunHarvest eric at harvesthesun.com
Wed Jan 16 09:53:40 PST 2013

Finally got through to Outback. They said the GVFX could be wired with a genny line-side of the inverter in order for the genny to charge the batteries and that this configuration could potentially cause problems for the genny. The likelihood of the PV sending power to the generator is extremely small as the inverter needs to see 5 minutes of perfect power in addition to sensing a near full battery bank before it will attempt to "sell" power back to the AC source. Additionally, when the genset is connected with the AGS the generator will turn on automatically when the batteries require absorption and automatically turn off when the batteries are "full" (according to set points). The moment when the batteries reach that "full" set point is when the inverter may attempt to "sell" power back but this is when the AGS will shut down the generator.

I have, on my house, an older Xantrex SW4024 and it works fine with my Kohler 8.5kW genset but then again, it has two AC-IN inputs which operate in mutual exclusion. Outback mentioned that while the FX series inverters do not enjoy this feature, the Radian inverter re-introduces this configuration. Hallelujah!

So, it sounds like the solution for the Outback grid-tied BB system is to install an AGS...which is part of the plan as soon as the homeowner completes some required genny repairs.

The solution for the grid-tied Enphase system, it seems, will have to be asking the homeowner to shut off his PV when the grid goes down...Ugh.

But reading back through the older posts in this thread, pretty much all recommending against configuring the genset supply-side of the inverter, the question remains, for me at least, how does the generator charge the batteries if the genny is load-side of the inverter?

Eric
SunHarvest