[RE-wrenches] Cycle Life

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Wed Dec 18 13:28:57 PST 2013

Hi;

I was just doing some cost comparisons of different batteries for a
customer.  I found that on Rolls website, they've apparently upgrade
their cycle life of the S5000 series to 2100 cycles (or more) at 80%
DOD.  It has been 1500 cycles at 80% DOD for quite a while, so:
Question 1, what new technology is Rolls now employing in their
batteries to boost cycle life by 40% from before?
Question 2, are folks' real world experiences in line with that
incredible "best in the business" claim.
Question 3, at what rate of charge and discharge are cycle life tests
normally done. Can companies exaggerate their cycle life, by running the
tests at 100 hr discharge rate, for instance.
Question 4, Is there any independent confirmation/ testing being done?

Off List replies are fine, for those of you not wanting to publicly
share your experiences.

Thanks,

--
R.Ray Walters