[RE-wrenches] FW: Eaton Inverters

Greg Seelhorst gseelhorst at gmail.com
Sun Nov 17 17:05:53 PST 2013

Good evening Wrenches -

I just joined a solar company in Texas a few months ago that had enough
interest to start using the Eaton Solar PV240, PV250, PV260 and PV270
Inverters until recently.  Their inverters were touting amongst the first to
have AFCI protection at the disconnect level (UL Subject 1699B) along with
SMA.

That being all fine and dandy for less than a year, then we stopped using
the whole line of solar inverters (PV240-PV270) in September 2013 after
numerous failures of the 4000 and 5000w (PV240 and PV250) range, and then
again, failures of the said replacement inverters (5 of 11 replacements
failed within months).   I have some detailed failure statistics that I
could share offline if this is relevant to you, but rather wanted to find
out which representative anyone has had success with in the Solar Inverter
line in dealing with Eaton who is higher up in the product management or
solar division food chain.  Hopefully, it could help to get clarity on a
rumored recall of their 4-7000w solar inverter line.

Humbly yours,

Greg Seelhorst