[RE-wrenches] Adding Charge Controller(s)

Jesse Dahl dahlsolar at gmail.com
Thu Oct 24 13:13:55 PDT 2013

Hello,

Looked at a system today that consisted of the following:

15 - Kyocera 158W modules
3 -   Kyocera 185W modules
1 -   Outback MX60
8 -   New Trojan L16RE (48V system)
1 -   Xantrex SW Plus

6 months ago he swapped out his old charge controller to the new MX60 and
purchased the new batteries at that time.  The array wiring did not change
and is wired in 6 strings of 3.  (confusing to the MX60?)

He is now adding 4 Kyocera 240W modules.  He also purchased another MX60
for this array.

>From my perspective, removing the 3 185W modules and getting them on their
own controller would be a better use of the modules.  The system currently
does not have any disconnects on the PV side.  There are fuses in the
combiner boxes on the array, but no disconnects inside at the charge
controller.  So adding 3 charge controllers, and now needing to add GFDI,
means a box of some kind needs to be added to house these breakers.

Outbacks GFPs and panel mount breakers will work, but what is the best
mounting solution for these?  One DC Flexware enclosure? It will of course
allow for all the DC OCPD  and allow for the landing of the output of the
charge controllers.  Or is there another enclosure/OCPD solution I should
look at?

Thanks as always!

Jesse