[RE-wrenches] Wet Romex?

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Sun Sep 22 20:34:17 PDT 2013

Hi Wrenches;

This might be slightly off topic for a solar list, but I'm doing some
flood damage work for my sister in Boulder,  who's basement was
completely filled with water last week.  We stripped all the sheet rock
and carpets, etc. out, and then had a company come in to dry out the
lumber and treat for mold.
Since I'm a licensed electrician, she has asked me to help with
rewiring.  All the plastic outlets boxes had about a 1/4 " of mud sludge
in the bottom (now dry), and the receptacles were soaking in the silty
water for about 12 hours too.  I think the boxes can just be cleaned
out, but we will definitely replace all the connections, switches, and
receptacles.
The question is: do we need to replace all the NMB wiring as well? I cut
open a section, and the paper is moist, but otherwise no other issues.
I know the THHN inside is wet rated, so what are the issues here?  What
purpose does the paper serve, BTW?
Do we tear it all out, or give it a month to dry, and then put all the
circuits on GFI breakers?
I don't want to be unsafe, but I don't want to run the repair bill up
unnecessarily either (insurance is only covering some of the damage)

Thanks,

--
R.Ray Walters
CTO, Solarray, Inc