[RE-wrenches] Grounding question

Mac Lewis maclewis1 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 1 07:13:41 PDT 2013

Hello wrenches,

I am wrapping up a job that we adopted mid-installation, that has a couple
grounding options.  I am looking for the best way to do it.  It is 18 x
Solyndra SL-150-182 with 18x Tigos and an SMA 3000-HF.  I am unfamiliar
with the Tigo's and the Solyndra.  As I understand it, Tigo's do not need
any type of equipment grounding conductor.

The Solyndra's on the other hand,  have a small piece of Aluminum square
tubing used to support the tubes.  We have a couple of wire change boxes up
on the roof in various locations.  Also, the homeowner has ran a large loop
of #2 that circumnavigates the array and attaches directly to the grounding
electrode at the service.  The homeowner would like as much lightning
protection as possible.

My preferred grounding method would be to connect each of these aluminum
frames to a grounding lug, and run a continuous piece of #10 solid and
irreversibly spice in one of wire change boxes to the EGC and on to the
inverter.  However, this leaves that large loop of #2 Cu unused.  I believe
it's a bad idea to connect the frames to both the EGC in the pull boxes and
the #2 loop, because we would have a ground loop.  If we just connect the
frames to the lightning loop, we may be disabling the gfdi circuit.

What are recommendations wrenches have in this case?  Should I use the
lightning loop somehow?

Thanks in advance

--

Mac Lewis