[RE-wrenches] Outback AC coupling Sunpower?

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Tue Jul 30 13:59:33 PDT 2013

Hi All;

I know AC coupled systems have been covered before, but I have a new
issue:  positive grounding.  A customer with an existing 8kw Sunpower
system wants to add backup.   He was put off by the high cost the Sunny
Island, so I was steering him towards a single Outback VFX coupled to
just one of his 3 inverters.  The issue is how will the VFX work with
positive grounded inverters.  I'm assuming that since the two inverters
will only be connected by AC, that the positive vs negative grounding of
their separate DC systems will not matter.  Any experience with this
particular scenario: Sunpower system AC coupled to an Outback?
Also, would I even need a GVFX, since the inverter would only be used
during outages  (which might allow a generator to be used later as
well)  A VFX should still AC couple to the GT inverter during an outage,
right?

Thanks as always,

--
R.Ray Walters