[RE-wrenches] Monitoring - The Dilemma

August Goers august at luminalt.com
Sat Jun 1 08:30:33 PDT 2013

Hi Wrenches,

As we're building up a larger and larger grid tied PV installation
portfolio we're also building up hundreds of monitoring systems. We have
monitoring systems from SunPower, SMA, Enphase, Power-one, Locus Energy,
SunRun, and several others. We also have monitored SHW systems.

I'm finding that except for the occasional inverter failure, our systems
are running well but we have frequent monitoring issues. Most often the
monitoring system has become disconnected from the internet for some
reason. Other times the monitoring system has lost signal strength which
is common with Enphase (it may have been weak to begin with). Other times
the monitoring systems have failed. And occasionally there is actually a
production problem which really needs to be addressed.

I'm a firm believer that monitoring empowers our clients and us to better
understand how their systems are operating. However, the burden of keeping
all these systems running is starting to have a significant cost on our
business. It is easiest to solve problems when we have a motivated client
who can help troubleshoot remotely on the phone. But other clients really
just don't seem to care. For example, I spent a couple hours a while back
troubleshooting a system and it turned out that our client's grandson had
disconnected the data logger to plug in his X Box. Many people are totally
clueless about internet issues. Internet service providers and routers are
also likely to change throughout the years causing even more connection
issues.

SunRun's system is good because it uses cell technology to completely
bypass the client's internet system. However, these don't always run
smoothly either and cell reception can be a problem.

How are other Wrenches dealing with ongoing customer service and
expectations for their monitoring systems? Any ideas out there on how to
put more responsibility on the client while still keeping them happy?

Thanks in advance,

August

August Goers
Luminalt Energy Corporation