[RE-wrenches] Magnum inverter remote lightning protection?

Dan Fink danbob88 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 26 23:31:39 PDT 2013

Esteemed Wrenches;

We are replacing a venerable but zorched Trace U-series with a Magnum for
an off-grid  client. He has a "power shed" type install 100 feet from the
house, and wants to be able to control and monitor the inverter from the
house.

The Magnum remote uses standard telephone cable, so no problem getting 100
feet so far as I can tell, the included cable is 50 feet and there are no
distance warnings in the docs. But what about lightning? His system is in a
very lightning prone area of Colorado. Everything's grounded well, but the
remote itself can't be tied in as far as I can tell. We'll bury the
telephone cable, but still.....are there any products out there from the
days of telephone landlines (remember those?) for lightning protection? Or
is this a non-issue? I'd hate to zorch the new inverter just because of a
surge from the remote cable.

I love the Magnum remote, it's why we mostly install Magnum inverters now.
I can walk even a novice off-grid client through troubleshooting and
(sometimes) repairing a system over a sat phone from memory, without an
owners manual on hand. Smooooth. But I have not run into this outdoor wire
run situation with it yet.

Thanks in advance;

Dan Fink,
Executive Director;
Otherpower
Buckville Energy Consulting
Buckville Publications LLC
NABCEP / IREC accredited Continuing Education Providers
970.672.4342