[RE-wrenches] Stainless Steel Cable Ties

Benn Kilburn - DayStar Renewable Energy benn at daystarsolar.ca
Wed Apr 24 22:20:12 PDT 2013

Wrenches,
I searched the archives, but came up with nothing on thisŠ.

I have found a good supplier for reasonably priced stainless steel cable
ties and have been using them in place of black nylon cable ties for
supporting cables, PV wires and micro-inverter wires to the mounting rails
and such.  I feel better knowing the wires under the array are supported
this way rather than with plastic/nylon cable ties, for which I tried but
cannot get a manufacturer to guarantee will last 20+yrs.

A colleague is questioning this method (SS ties) with the concern that over
time the (albeit small) movement in the wires and/or expansion/contraction
of the rails could result in the stainless steel cable ties cutting thru the
wire's insulation and thenŠ..
I have heard this concern before from others as well.

The way I see it is that the very popular stainless steel "S" cable clips
that hold wires to module frames have comparable equal sharp edges as well
and would pose the same risk, but there doesn't seem to be any concern
there.

I am wondering who else is using SS ties in place of nylon ones, and if you
are taking additional steps to protect the wire's insulation from the SS
ties?
Common sense abides, meaning don't wrap a wire around the SS ties so that
the wire has tension on the sharp edge of the tie.  Flat edge contact with
the wire only, the same way that you wouldn't run a wire across/around a
sharp cut edge of a rail or anything else.

Thanks,
benn