[RE-wrenches] Inverter Ramp times

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Mon Apr 8 11:05:44 PDT 2013

Fellow Wrenches;

I am consulting on a larger project out of country, and the utility is
(as usual) concerned with disturbances to the grid from the variations
in solar output.  I know that most of the latest utility scale inverters
have some ability to control the rate that power ramps up and down, but
what is the time scale?  Is it milliseconds, seconds, a minute?
Also, they are hankering for some type of storage, so beyond the
inverter controls, what are some of the available short term storage
strategies (2 to 4 hr) these days?  I've heard of several prototype
large battery banks (and fires?)....
Anyone on the list have experience with these?

As always: thanks in advance for sharing your expertise,

--
R.Ray Walters
CTO, Solarray, Inc