[RE-wrenches] Batteries and customer service

Lou Russo lou at spreesolarsystems.com
Fri Mar 15 13:38:19 PDT 2013

Hello Wrenches,

This is my first go around here in the mailing list. I ve been a "lurker"
for years, I much appreciate all the insight you all have provided.

Here is the situation:

I have a client with 12 Interstate UL16HCs (24v system, 3 x 4 battery bank)
purchased and installed exactly 12 months ago. After 5 months of being
installed he thought one of the batteries may be going bad because of some
minor corrosion on one terminal and one cell was not using as much water as
all the rest . So I disconnected that string after a full charge and let it
rest for 8 hours. I then checked the specific gravity with the
refractometer as well as the voltage of each battery. Everything looked
fine. I called the Interstate warehouse let them know the situation and
asked what they could do for me, they said "nothing" of course. So nothing
happened. Fast forward. After speaking to another wrench (I am always up
for clients getting more info) who mentioned something about a bad batch of
batteries that Interstate received around the time of installation, my
client wants to do something. I know the first part of the following
question has been hashed out in some detail already, the second part is the
most important here...

Assuming the one battery is bad, is it worth it to replace the one battery
at this stage and call it good? If not, should I
or Interstate be responsible for replacing the whole battery bank?

Thanks for any and all insight.

Cheers,

Lou