[RE-wrenches] GEC for Micro-Inverters and ACPV Modules

Mark Frye markf at berkeleysolar.com
Mon Jan 14 15:31:18 PST 2013

Does anyone have the latest on the GEC for micro-inverters/ACPV issue?

I know it is still in NEC 2008 and I believe 2011 with plans to address
it in 2014.

I am specifically interested in the issue of GEC means continues
(irreversible splices) and the whole business of the DC side of these
devices constituting a separately derived system.

Enphase technical support is fine if the micro inverter chasis is bonded
to a EGC only, but they leave the lug on the chasis if you want/need to
build a GEC.

SolarBridge (pre-assembled micro-inverter) seems to be devoid of a
chasis lug and therefore by extension does not/can not had a GEC in the
system.

Exeltech (integrated micro-inverter aka. ACPV) does not seem to have a
lug on its chasis.

Has the industry pretty much moved to not requiring a GEC for these
devices and if so, how are the AHJ taking it?

Thanks,
Mark Frye
Berkeley Solar Electric Systems