[RE-wrenches] Tying a ground mount to sandstone slab

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Sun Dec 23 10:27:33 PST 2012

The ballasted idea is good, and I've also done what you are proposing
below, which is a hybrid ballasted/ anchored system.   Epoxy is the best
anchor I've ever used, just make sure the hole is really clean before
putting in the glue.
Also I'd make the slab bigger to enhance the ballast effect.  I did a
pole mount  on top of solid rock on a 4'x 4' x 16" thick slab with lots
of rebar, and j bolts.  We then welded a bolt-on flange to the base of
the pole to bolt to the j bolts.
You may want to talk to a structural engineer;  all of this is very
calculable.  I use a simple 50 lb/ sq ft loading on the face of the
array, and work everything back to tipping moment at the pivot point
(either the base of the pole or the edge of the slab.)  You could even
set the anchors and then use a crane scale and high lift jack to test
the pull out strength of the anchors if you wanted to get anal.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_120532_120532

Ray