[RE-wrenches] Transformer or not?

benn kilburn benn at daystarsolar.ca
Wed Dec 19 03:54:41 PST 2012

Hilton,I installed two SMA's (SB6000U and SWR1800U) outside on a roof about 6 years ago, with no reported issues yet, although i am due to check up on these.  We see at least -35C (-31F) each winter.  SMA stated that because they were installed in an environment that could reach outside their rating, that any associated issues would not be covered by warranty. As with most component testing, their internal (within the company) testing went beyond the components stated rating, which of course gives them some cushion room.
Detail correction... you stated "...the regular -13C rating."  I think you may have meant the regular -13F (-25C) rating?
SMA made a good move by offering the -40C option.  Although we still see that temp and a bit lower from time to time.  but take it if you can get it.
Cheersbenn
DayStar Renewable Energy Inc. www.daystarsolar.ca780-906-7807 Certified Construction Electrician Solar Photovoltaic Systems CertifiedCertificate # 0007SHAVE A SUNNY DAY