[RE-wrenches] 3 Phase With 2 Inverters?

Dave Click daveclick at fsec.ucf.edu
Tue Nov 27 14:07:42 PST 2012

I would agree that the imbalance at these power levels is not a major
issue. If it appears that Phase A is most heavily-loaded, I'd install
the inverters as A-B and A-C to help mitigate the existing imbalance. If
you've got a lot of 1P loads on a 3P service-- lighting, office
receptacles or whatever-- you could easily have a large imbalance on a
regular basis. The 7kVA PV imbalance in your installation would happen
extremely rarely.

If this imbalance still makes you uneasy, then install three inverters
and then a relay system to bring all the inverters down in case any of
them fails. The SMA Power Balancer does this for their inverters and
maybe some third-parties offer them too for these Fronius installs. This
seems to make the most sense for decentralized systems with many string
inverters, to ensure that a low phase voltage doesn't turn off a
fraction of your inverters and cause a >100kVA imbalance.

I've heard that some utilities have a max PV imbalance (calculated from
the inverter ratings) of 6kVA. No utility to my knowledge requires an
interconnection agreement for a 10kVA single-phase commercial water
heater (to steal a Bill Brooks example) that would have a much stronger
impact.

Dave