[RE-wrenches] Protecting/Cleaning un-connected MC Connectors

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Sat Nov 24 10:02:22 PST 2012

I would think good old CRC contact cleaner, as the connectors have a
grease coating that collects dust if left unconnected.
Follow up by regreasing with silicon gel as Glenn suggested.
I've been playing around with using unterminated connectors to
temporarily seal up the dangling connectors.  This is not just for dirt/
wasps. etc, but to avoid someone making connections before they're
ready.  (array lockout tagout)   I had a case I consulted on, where an
900 VOC string was inadvertently short circuited.  When the guy came
back to disconnect it, he got exposed to a fairly eye opening arc flash.
(No gloves, no tinted safety glasses)  It ended up becoming an OSHA
recordable for the company he worked for.

Ray