[RE-wrenches] Protecting/Cleaning un-connected MC Connectors

Solarguy ntrei at 1scom.net
Sat Nov 24 07:25:52 PST 2012

We've always used canned air for cleaning any connectors left exposed even
overnight since condensation's always up before me.

And since connecting them causes a metal-to-metal interference fit a layer
of dust would seem to be of little consequence unless disconnected and
re-connected. Moisture of some sort might cause a problem too but the tin
plating should be resistant to a corrosive reaction unless its electrical in
nature.

But all bets are off if it's non-compatible brands [MC compatible etc] like
so many modules claim to be now.

And while on the topic, Photon magazines article on connector testing a year
or two ago shows we do have reasons to worry. It's a shame that some of the
connector manufacturers haven't come forward on this site with more
information on use and misuse of their products. Does MC.com  still have
their downloadable installation video that offered "certification" training?

Jim Duncan

North Texas Renewable Energy Inc

 <http://www.ntrei.com/> www.ntrei.com

NABCEP PV 031310-57