[RE-wrenches] Module shorting to ground?

Kelly Larson solarwrench at asis.com
Mon Oct 29 18:24:17 PDT 2012

Hi Rebecca,

If you suspect the wires in conduit, you can megger just the wires by disconnecting all the wires on both ends of the conduit, wirenutting them off on one end, and meggering them on the other end.  Megger between two of the wires at a time, and repeat until all the wires have been tested against each other and each is tested against the metal conduit, (if any).  There should be very high resistance between all of them and between them and the metal conduit.

To megger an array:

Remove the array connection to the inverter!  Cap that end of the wires with wirenuts.
Remove any surge protection devices!
Be sure that you connect the positive of the megger to the negative of the array (this is important to get right)
Connect the negative of the megger to the grounding conductors
Make sure all the metal of the system is clear of people and animals.  (Don't touch any metal)
Energize megger.  Use the 50V setting, (if the megger has that low a setting), it will show something if there is a problem that you are picking up with a multimeter
	or use the lowest setting.  Don't use more than 500V.

I am not sure the megger is the right tool to diagnose a module and prove it has an internal GF to a module manufacturer.  Some module manufacturers say not to megger their modules.

Hope that helps.  Let us know!

Blessings,
Kelly