[RE-wrenches] Utility inverter rating

Brian Teitelbaum bteitelbaum at aeesolar.com
Thu Oct 18 14:07:24 PDT 2012

Dave's answer is correct, but can also be fleshed out a bit.

The SI6048 has an internal transfer switch that is rated for only 56A at 120VAC. All power from the production sources need to go through that relay, at least if the two inverters are set up normally where both are connected in the critical loads panel. In order to protect that transfer relay from overcurrent (load draw in the critical loads panel or high production from the PV array), it needs to be protected with a 50A single-pole breaker in the Main panel (assuming a breaker with 100% duty rating and that you can't find a 56A breaker). That's only 6000W at 120VAC, which would be the max AC output into the Main panel. Make sure that you are not overloading the bus in the Main panel.

This is off-subject but still relevant:

Since the Island is a 120VAC inverter, and the SB7000 has 240VAC output, there will have to be a transformer somewhere in the system: either a step-down between the SB and the critical loads panel, or a step-up between the critical loads panel and the Sunny Island. Either way, the connection to the Main is at 120VAC, unless you add a second transformer to step the Island's 120 up to 240, or use two Sunny Islands.

If you have a PV array that could max-out the SB7000, you may have a nuisance tripping issue with that 50A single-pole breaker. In the installation manual for the new SMA Smartformer for the Sunny Island, it only recommends using the SB7000 or SB8000 in off-grid use for this very reason. I suggest that the system design be revisited to either use a smaller PV inverter, or two Sunny Islands.

I understand that SMA is working on a 240VAC version of the Island inverters, and hopefully they will include a transfer relay with a higher current rating.

Brian Teitelbaum
AEE Solar