[RE-wrenches] Trojan L-16 SG Readings- Did Something Change?

John DeBoever jdeboever at trojanbattery.com
Tue Sep 4 14:21:23 PDT 2012

Wrenches,

o   Only water should be added during the life of Trojan flooded lead acid batteries.  Sulfuric acid should not be taken out of the battery, nor added.  Acid filling is done at Trojan factory. Any acid filling outside Trojan factory would be exceptional (accidental event) and per detailed revamping instructions from Trojan Tech Support.

>From our website: http://www.trojanbatteryre.com/Tech_Support/Tech_Support.html?tab=0#TabbedPanels1#top
Phone
Trojan telephone tech support is available Monday thru Friday, 7am to 5pm Pacific Standard Time.
US and Canada: 800.423.6569 ext. 3045
International: +1.562.236.3045

o   As noted by Bob Ellison earlier, S.G. readings shall be temperature compensated according to the temperature at the time of the readings.
Please see here: http://www.trojanbatteryre.com/Tech_Support/Tech_Support.html?tab=0#TabbedPanels1#top
2. Can I use the specific gravities to troubleshoot my battery?
The specific gravities of batteries are an excellent tool to determine the state of charge of batteries and their ability to accept a charge. Unfortunately, the specific gravities can also lead to an erroneous conclusion if we do not specify the conditions under which the measurements were taken. The two major sources of error in measuring specific gravities are lack of temperature compensation and water addition. Since the specific gravities of batteries are affected by temperature, the measurements must be temperature compensated. The best way to compensate for cold temperatures is to subtract four points from your reading for every 10º F (5.5º C) degrees below 80º F (27º C). To compensate for hot temperatures simply add four points from your reading for every 10º F (5.5º C) degrees above 80º F (27º C). Also, the addition of water should only be done once the batteries are fully charged as the electrolyte levels vary as a function of state of charge and are highest once the batteries are fully charged. Please use-distilled water only and note that adding water will lower the specific gravities of your batteries. The specific gravities cannot be used as a reliable source unless we account for the two sources of error mentioned above.

I hope the above helps.

John
John F. DeBoever
Global Technical & Projects Director - Renewable Energy
Trojan Battery Company

12380 Clark Street
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
Tel: +1-562-236-3000 Ext. 3139
Cell: +1-845-514-7600 - NY office time zone: USA EST (GMT-5)
Skype: john.f.deboever
Fax: +1-562-236-3239
jdeboever at trojanbattery.com<mailto:jdeboever at trojanbattery.com>
www.trojanbattery.com<http://www.trojanbattery.com/>