[RE-wrenches] Grid tie with BB

Rich Nicol rich at solartechvt.com
Sun Sep 2 08:42:09 PDT 2012

Thanks Dan/Dick and Larry –

My concern was too high a charge rate, particularly when the batteries are cycled during or after an outage when the controllers are delivering maximum current and the inverter is not selling, yet not wanting to limit the charge controllers when we’re back in grid tied mode. Outback noted that you can just limit the controllers during extended outages, but I would prefer that customers not have to make adjustments to the charge rates.

What I failed to consider is the particularly high charge rates that AGMs are able to withstand compared to FLAs. With a few tweaks to the system design we can easily hit a ~ .25C rate which is ideal for the batteries.

I like the perspective of the inverter as diversion controller when it’s in sell mode.

Thanks again for your help!

Rich