[RE-wrenches] Power line communications interference

Jason Szumlanski jason at fafcosolar.com
Thu Aug 23 13:11:49 PDT 2012

In every single case that we have installed an AC outlet for the Envoy
directly off a circuit combiner panel, the Envoy works flawlessly. It
definitely likes to be very close to the inverters. I have also found that
GFCI outlets in a garage near the main panel actually work well despite the
recommendation to not use GFCI outlets.

The bottom line is that the closer you can get (electrically speaking) the
better it will work. You may have some luck moving (swapping) the pond pump
breaker in the main panel to be further away from the circuit with the
Envoy.

We just did a service call today at a home with massive interference
problems and a homeowner that insists on moving the Envoy randomly and
expecting it to keep working. If you do some trial and error, you should be
able to find a place for it that works reliably. Getting the homeowner to
leave it alone is another story.

Jason Szumlanski
Fafco Solar