[RE-wrenches] Direct PV-EV charging: possible?

Randy Brooks Randy at BrooksSolar.com
Thu Aug 23 08:38:27 PDT 2012

Allan,

As a EV enthusiast, and RE Wrench, I've also thought of, and fielded questions about, direct PV charging an EV.

- The first issue that usually causes me to not pursue this is getting the most power production from the PV array each day.  If the EV is not there, the PV array output is not being used.  But it sounds like your customer will have the array grid tied when the EV is not present, so PV output is maximized, and he/she wants to be able to switch to direct EV charging when the EV is present.

- So the next issue is having an array wired that could both power a grid tie inverter, and charge a 300 vDC EV battery pack.  If the grid tie inverter is a 600v string inverter, and the battery pack charge controller is a high voltage string charge controller like the Xantrex 600v PV charge controller, then the array could be wired to satisfy both uses.

- The next issue is if the Xantrex 600v PV charge controller be set high enough to control charge to a 300v battery pack.  Maybe Xantrex could custom make one that could do this, and be adjusted for various battery types.

- If the charge controller can be found, then a manual transfer switch could be used to shift array output from the grid tie inverter to the car PV charge controller, and back, as desired.

How's that sound?  :)

Randy Brooks
Brooks Solar, Inc.
Solar Power for People