[RE-wrenches] Murphy Gen Control Oopsies

Chris Mason cometenergysystems at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 04:31:20 PDT 2012

Silly question, but have you talked to the manufacturer?
http://www.fwmurphy.com/
I can't see how it would be an off-grid issue. The voltage on the solenoids
can only be 12V, so it's not an overvoltage issue.
If the controllers were faulty in the way you detail, that would be
happening with every genset, regardless of use.
Also, you should be able to track the operation to see if the pull-in coil
is remaining energized.
It could be that they are specifying lousy solenoids, can you spec a
different manufacturer?

On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 7:19 PM, <dan at foxfire-energy.com> wrote:

> Anyone else having issues with Murphy Controls and Off Grid Systems? I
> have two installs w/ GPP Isuzu diesels on Mecca Alti Gen sets built by Mack
> Boring and Parts as primary power units. one is a 12K unit, the other a 20.
> both use Murphy controls, and both are toasting their fuel solenoid at
> random. the smaller one (Customer purchased/ we installed to back up an OB
> 7224 system). it's been in for a few years, but spits it's fuel solenoid
> twice a year like clock work (the first two times it took out the starter
> as well.. we think something caused the starter to suck in while running
> ). the second one (the 20K), has only been in since last fall and just spit
> the same solenoid for the first time. this one is backing up an OB14,400
> system. Both use make or break (dry) contact for gen run, and both use OB
> AGS from the Master. Since Sandy left Mack Boring I can't seem to get a
> straight answer from anyone.. (other than they're very sorry, the gensets
> are out of warranty). I can almost see messing up one somehow.. but both?
> apparently the solenoids use two coils -- one to suck in, the other to
> hold. Sandy was thinking something was causing the suck in coil to overwork
> which made the thing over heat and  fail.  I have dozens of other off grid
> systems with generator back up of one flavor or other and have never seen
> this kind of problem with any of them. I'm stumped. Suggestions? Thanks db
>
> Dan Brown
> Foxfire Energy Corp.
> Renewable Energy Systems
> (802)-483-2564