[RE-wrenches] GTWB outage monitor question

JRQ quackkcauq at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 12 16:49:42 PDT 2012

Allan,

I was thinking more of a CT relay. Although you're right, if it's going to be on the battery cables, there would need to be some kind of programmable option to relay mechanism that would trigger only under a range of current values, not merely the presence of DC current. I'm sure there is something like that out there for industrial applications, but it would seem to be some exotic fauna.

On second thought, it would make more sense to use a CT relay on the AC input from the grid to the inverter. As long as the customer is pulling power from the grid, or supplying it, there will be current on that circuit, and no current when the grid goes out. You would have to supply power, then, to the relay and then run another circuit to the alert load through the relay. I'm not sure exactly how the wiring for this system is set up, but that's an easier bar to clear. Near the BOS, you could mount a 125A sub-panel from the inverter AC protected loads output with 3 breakers: one feeding the load center in the house, one for the relay power supply and one for the alert load. Then you could run two #12 wires from the relay through the raceway that contains the main load center feeders to the alert load.

I found a company supplying AC and DC CT relays and switches on a cursory search on google:

http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Overview/Catalog/Sensors_-z-_Encoders/Current_Sensors_(AC_-a-_DC)

Jeffrey Quackenbush