[RE-wrenches] GTWB outage monitor question

Chris Mason cometenergysystems at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 12:46:57 PDT 2012

It sounds like a perfect application for an Arduino.  http://www.arduino.cc/

It's an open source microcontroller with easy programming and lots of
interface options. For abnout $100 you could hire a programmer to configure
it to do what you need.

You don't say what the inverter is, but if it has a programmable contact
that can be configured to indicate on backup, the the logic can be IF
(Utility=0 & Inverter = 1) Then Send Email

Easy Peasy.

Otherwise, if you want a commercial product, try this
http://www.flightsystems.com/pdf/326techdetails.pdf

Model 326 Power Failure Detector - Description of Operation
Power interruptions at remote industrial sites and other unattended
locations, such as second homes, can be potentially damaging to
property.  A means of warning the property owner/manager of any prolonged
power outage is needed.  The Model 326 Power Failure
Detector meets this need by constantly monitoring the status of the power
at a property, with or without a standby power system.  An
alarm results from either a loss of utility power or a failure of the
standby power system to start and transfer the load.  The alarm can
be local, or remote by means of an automatic telephone dialer.

Chris Mason
President, Comet Systems Ltd
www.cometenergysystems.com
Cell: 264.235.5670