[RE-wrenches] ac and dc in same wire way

Glenn Burt glenn.burt at glbcc.com
Tue Jul 24 18:08:08 PDT 2012

>From the 2008 Handbook:

690.4 Installation.

(A) Solar Photovoltaic System. A solar photovoltaic system shall be
permitted to supply a building or other structure in addition to any
service(s) of another electricity supply system(s).

(B) Conductors of Different Systems. Photovoltaic source circuits and
photovoltaic output circuits shall not be contained in the same raceway,
cable tray, cable, outlet box, junction box, or similar fitting as feeders
or branch circuits of other systems, unless the conductors of the different
systems are separated by a partition or are connected together.

For example, 690.4(B) does not permit the conductors supplying an exterior
luminaire located in close proximity to a roof-mounted PV array to be
installed in the same raceway or cable with the conductors of PV source
circuits or PV output circuits.

Conductors directly related to a specific PV system, such as those in dc and
ac output power circuits, may be contained in the same raceway as PV source
and output conductors, providing they meet the requirements of 300.3(C).

-Glenn