[RE-wrenches] High L16 voltage situation

Nathan Jones solardude97 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 20 12:58:21 PDT 2012

Mystery solved. Morningstar vindicated.
I had one of the guys go down on this so this is as I understand it. One of the 2 solar panels was mis wired into the 12VDC lighting circuit. This panel was finding its way straight to the batteries through the load side of the charge controller. Apparently the Morningstar LVD clips on the high side as well as the low side of voltage. This simulated the current drop below my meters ability to read it yet still ran the voltage up to the 15.6VDC reading. I got tunnel vision to the controller thinking it was clipping current and functioning but at a wrong voltage. The AGM jumper also seems to control the LVD setpoints on the load portion of the controller which further put my focus on the controller as the culprit.
Mick got it right except the high voltage PWM cutout on the LVD took the runaway current out of the equation. I was seeing the problem but it was hidden in plain sight.
I hated to post that this thing kicked my butt. Morningstar deserved the clean bill of health. There is little of my face not covered by egg. That is only because I did not hook the thing up wrong to begin with.
Thanks to all who offered help on this one.
Nathan Jones
Power Source Solar Inc.
417-827-0738