[RE-wrenches] Small battery bank vs too large array

Brian Teitelbaum bteitelbaum at aeesolar.com
Fri Jul 20 10:23:03 PDT 2012

Phil,

Thanks for the very thorough explanation of the Global Charge Control. That setup would certainly provide the level of control that I was getting at.

I can see how the FN-DC could do that since it utilizes multiple shunts and can therefore use discrete amperage readings to provide better charge controlling functions. This will be very useful, not only for the type of system that you describe in Haiti, but for off-grid systems employing large PV arrays to provide adequate charging in foggy or overcast weather. With PV at a buck-a-Watt, this is starting to become a viable way to reduce battery size and cost without resorting to running a generator. PV lasts substantially longer than batteries, so is a better investment in my opinion

Brian Teitelbaum
AEE Solar