[RE-wrenches] mounting hardware and U.L.

Dave Click daveclick at fsec.ucf.edu
Fri Jul 20 09:15:23 PDT 2012

http://solarabcs.org/about/publications/reports/module-grounding/index.html
(see the Issues & Recommendations report)

Phil is right that UL 2703 isn't finalized yet so it's not actually a
requirement. However, I imagine that module installation manuals and UL
1703 will both refer to 2703 soon, so it's not something that you'll be
able to ignore forever either. Since 2703 still isn't approved (see:
http://www.ul.com/global/eng/pages/solutions/standards/accessstandards/catalogofstandards/standard/?id=2703_1
), I don't see how Unirac can claim that they have an ETL mark for 2703.

Ray is right that "an AHJ can't reasonably require equipment that
doesn't exist." Just as NEC 2011 690.11 doesn't require you to use
string inverters with arc fault protection, since no such unit is
available (well, at least until SMA just started offering this for their
standard low-freq Sunny Boys)-- no inspector should require anything
listed to UL 2703 yet.

A relevant section is 90.4 (this section is copied from 2008).
**
The authority having jurisdiction for enforcement of the Code has the
responsibility for making interpretations of the rules, for deciding on
the approval of equipment and materials, and for granting the special
permission contemplated in a number of the rules.

By special permission, the authority having jurisdiction may waive
specific requirements in this Code or permit alternative methods where
it is assured that equivalent objectives can be achieved by establishing
and maintaining effective safety.

This Code may require new products, constructions, or materials that may
not yet be available at the time the Code is adopted. In such event, the
authority having jurisdiction may permit the use of the products,
constructions, or materials that comply with the most recent previous
edition of this Code adopted by the jurisdiction.
**