[RE-wrenches] Small battery bank vs too large array

Drake drake.chamberlin at redwoodalliance.org
Thu Jul 19 19:52:49 PDT 2012

Brian: Thanks for the clarification, it saved a
phone call to Outback.  That is how I think it
works also.  It seems that a current activated
relay to disconnect strings, to bring the charge
rate into line with the battery bank, could  be
an answer.  I don't know what equipment is
available.  A device that could read the current
from a shunt and generate a signal could be a solution.

Jason:  The regulation of the CC might take care
of things but I'm concerned that the C/2.5 would
occur for too long before the voltage got high
enough to activate the charge control.  AC
coupling could be a problem, since the full
output of a direct grid-tie inverter goes
straight to the batter without any controls
(unless dump or other loads are present).  A
coordinated system of dump loads, using a Morningstar Relay driver could work.

Todd:  We just got done with an extended power
outage here, and people with direct grid tie PV
are looking for ways to have power when the sun
shines.  Many people ran their generators for a
couple of hours at a time to cool their
refrigerators and freezers, then lent them to
their neighbors to do the same.  Having power
during the day would have been a great help.  A
bank of 4, 220 AH AGM batteries would allow for
CF lights, music and computers after dark.
Batteries are expensive and have a shelf
life.  They also take up a lot of space.  We are
trying to minimize these issues.

Cheers,

Drake