[RE-wrenches] Needed: Outback setpoints that won't ruin AGM's

Larry Crutcher, Starlight Solar Power Systems larry at starlightsolar.com
Mon Jul 9 06:56:03 PDT 2012

(I am posting this private response on the board because I believe it may benefit others)

Marc suggested that you only charge the battery until the current is lowered to 2.5% to 3% of the rated capacity. Doing so will undercharge the battery, leaving a deficit needed to reach 100% SoC. This leaves a quantity of lead sulfate on the plates. Any lead acid battery will be damaged when unconverted sulfate is left for extended periods because it hardens over time rendering portions of the plate inactive. The result is what we refer to as a sulfated battery.

Lifeline specifically specifies how to charge the battery properly and spells out that not doing so voids the warranty. Here is the pertinent part: "The limited warranty does not cover...,sulfated batteries due to undercharging,..."

Even though the manufacturer specifies 0.5% for a full charge, I typically see 0.2% or less on a new fully charged Concorde AGM.

Every year I see hundreds of batteries damaged from deficit charging, aka chronic undercharging. In fact, almost ALL batteries that we recycle are not worn out, they are damaged.  The #1 reason? Lack of understanding how to care for batteries. It is stunning how much misunderstanding and misinformation there is about battery charging. I am very willing to help anyone stop this tragic waste of money and resources.

Larry Crutcher
Starlight Solar Power Systems
(928) 342-9103