[RE-wrenches] L feet no flashing in shingle roof

Solarguy ntrei at 1scom.net
Wed Jul 4 08:57:34 PDT 2012

The text doesn’t imply that the wood will not split, it simply says it can be driven in without a pilot hole. For that matter a sheet metal screw can be driven into wood without a pilot hole.

The reason that the pilot hole offers an advantage is because there will be threads cut into the entire 360° contact surface of the hole. Without a pilot, the wood will split along the grain, maybe only a tiny amount but the laws of physics make no exception because of an advertised claim. Where there is no metal to wood contact there is no holding power and the pullout strength is compromised. But that’s why the pullout charts use a 2x safety factor.

Dave B. said it clearly, “I'm not sure why anyone would knowingly expose themselves to a possible construction negligence claim.”.

My 2¢ 2x

Jim Duncan

North Texas Renewable Energy Inc

www.ntrei.com <http://www.ntrei.com/>