[RE-wrenches] L feet no flashing in shingle roof

Max Balchowsky max at seesolar.com
Mon Jul 2 16:39:52 PDT 2012

In the "early days" before a lot of the manufactured mounting systems became prominent we used a stainless rod hanger. it was 6 inches long with 4 in of lag and 2 inches of thread. we'd put on a fender washer and bolt, filled the hole with a product called "through the roof" - a fifty year sealant. We had used power strut for years as a commercial electrical contractor so we'd put strut between two stainless bolts and washers then use a custom t-clamp with bolt and a spring nut. There were no flashings, just a good seal under the washer. I've got dozens of systems installed like that, years old. No leaks. The important thing was hitting the rafter in the center and getting good torque on the bolt. I've come in behind other contractors over the years to fix leaks and more often than not they missed the rafter or were on the edge so it eventually became loose.

Max Balchowsky
Design Engineer
SEE Systems
1048 Irvine Ave Suite 217