[RE-wrenches] Enphase grid tie question

Nick Soleil nsoleil at enphaseenergy.com
Tue Jun 26 10:24:01 PDT 2012

Hi Jesse,

Thank you for specifying Enphase on your commercial project.

At Enphase, we provide design review support for your commercial projects.
You can reach out to your account representative at Enphase or myself for
this design support.

The Envoy that we have been shipping this year can monitor up to 500
microinverters (Model ENV-120-01.)  That is a little more than 100kW.

It is always okay to run 8 of the output circuits to a single load
center.

The numbers below apply to a 3 phase 208/120 wye interconnection.

8 x 24 M215 per circuit would be 41.28kW

(192 modules x 215 watts = 41,280 watts / 208 / 1.732 = 115 Amps x 1.25 =
144A OCPD)

That could be interconnected on a 150A, 3 phase 208V OCPD.  (Busbar
considerations are separate)

An alternative method to calculate the ampacity would be to use the 1.0A
figure for 208V, which we publish on our M1215 spec sheet.  That
calculation would be:
(192 x 1.0A = 192A / 1.732 = 110.9A x 1.25 = 138.6 Amps minimum OCPD)

For systems with multiple Envoys on a single utility transformer, there are
some special considerations, which are addressed in our Multi-Tenant Design
Document at:
EnphaseAppNote_Multi_Tenant.pdf<http://enphase.com/wp-uploads/enphase.com/2011/03/EnphaseAppNote_Multi_Tenant.pdf>

With M215s at 208V 3 phase, you could design for 24 microinverters per
branch circuit

The process of center feeding is not necessary for all systems, but can
allow for you to reduce the total wire loss in the system.  We have an
application note on our website which addresses this at:
EnphaseTechBrief_Vdrop_M215.pdf<http://enphase.com/wp-uploads/enphase.com/2011/12/EnphaseTechBrief_Vdrop_M215.pdf>

For best results, we recommend installing the Envoy system monitor on a
dedicated receptacle off of the PV load center.  The Envoy can be installed
in an outdoor rated junction box.  We have details on outdoor mounting in
the Multi-tenant App Note above.

If any of you have questions about commercial designs with Enphase, feel
free to reach out to me.

Cordially,

*Nick Soleil*

*Field Applications Engineer
*

*Enphase Energy*

Mobile: (707) 321-2937
**

1420 North McDowell

Petaluma, CA 94954

www.enphase.com <http://www.enphaseenergy.com/>

P: (707) 763-4784 x7267

F: (707) 763-0784

E: nsoleil at enphaseenergy.com

[image: nabcep logo] Certified Solar PV Installer #03262011-300

“Don’t get me wrong: I love nuclear energy! It’s just that I prefer fusion
to fission. And it just so happens that there’s an enormous fusion reactor
safely banked a few million miles from us. It delivers more than we could
ever use in just about 8 minutes. And it’s wireless! .”

- William McDonough

This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not an intended recipient, you may not review, use, copy, disclose or distribute this message. If you received this message in error, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.