[RE-wrenches] sub-panel supply-side tap

Jason Szumlanski jason at fafcosolar.com
Wed Jun 6 16:19:40 PDT 2012

First, let me say I am no NEC 240 expert...

Remember that 690 will supersede 240 if the requirements differ. I don't
see any way to make this work unless the conductor for the feeder circuit
is sized to 233A (280/1.2), which is certainly possible. That's assuming
the combined size of the breakers immediately connected to the inverters
adds up to 80A. If not, upgrading this feeder conductor may do the trick.

The bus in the main panel would also need to be a minimum of 233A, which
seems likely if the subpanel is 200A. Since the subpanel is protected by a
200A main breaker (I'm assuming), that bus is not at issue here.

I'm guessing in this case that 80A is the total rated ampacity of the
system, but that this comes from multiple inverter output circuits that may
be protected by, for example, two 50A breakers. If my guess is correct,
then 100A would need to be considered, and the conductor ampacity
requirement goes up to 250A.

As other have said, this is a load-side connection, and the requirements
are difficult to meet in this scenario. However, the feeder conductor
appears to be the main issue in this case.

Jason Szumlanski
Fafco Solar