[RE-wrenches] NABCEP

David Brearley david.brearley at solarprofessional.com
Sat Jun 2 12:41:38 PDT 2012

Sorry, William. You have to be the Executive Director of a non-profit or
similar to get a month vacation. If you¹re a NABCEP Certified Installer,  it
is catch as catch can. (I can attest to that.) However, there probably
aren¹t a lot of out of work NABCEP Certified Installers.

In all seriousness, one thing that gets lost in some of these discussions is
that the relative value of ANY certification varies depending upon where one
is in the food chain, so to speak. I¹ve worked in distribution, in design
and integration, and now in technical publishing. As an employee, I¹ve found
NABCEP certification super valuable. It has distinguished my resume from
others. It sets a floor for my value in terms of compensation. In fact, when
I worked for an installation firm, we had automatic pay raises for NABCEP
Certification.

If you¹re an owner of an installation firm, I think it¹s a very different
scenario. Your past work is the best part of your resume. It¹s a lot easier
to sell your company to future customers based on your long list of past
happy customers than it is to explain to them what in the world NABCEP
stands for and why they should care. I think it can be a selling point, but
if your not an employee the value in NABCEP is definitely more symbolic and
intangible.

We all see a lot of mistakes that get made in our line of work. NABCEP
represents the industry¹s own desire to set and strive for a higher
standard. It¹s not the boogey man. It¹s not ³The Man.² It¹s your well
intentioned colleagues.

That¹s my experience and my 2 cents,

David Brearley, Senior Technical Editor
SolarPro magazine