[RE-wrenches] broken glass

Ron Young solareagle at solareagle.com
Sun Apr 15 17:42:21 PDT 2012

I bought a few broken modules at a killer price a few years ago. I knew their would be considerably reduced output but the price was right. They were shattered but all the glass was in place. I tried Krylon spray, absolutely useless, had to scrape it off. Tried plexiglass - it discoloured, and lexan. Lexan was the best solution but it was still a challenge to weather seal the panel. Using a varathane based sealant I adhered the lexan to the panel frame, didn't hold. The only workable solution I found was to build a frame around the frame and attach the lexan. Altogether too much trouble, especially with the price of PV now. BTW, one of these modules was a Sanyo HIP 190. As for the glazier solution - on some PV modules I'm pretty sure the glass is bonded to the cell surface in some fashion so picking off the old glass is not an option.

Ron Young