[RE-wrenches] Array Ground Wire Sizing

Jeff Yago jryago at dtisolar.com
Thu Mar 29 06:38:52 PDT 2012

Most solar array string wiring is in the #10 range and NEC Table 250.122
allows a #10 to #12 bare copper ground wire connected to the back of each
module grounding lug based on staying under 100 amps max. breaker rating in
the combiner boxes.  However, 250.120( C) states "equipment grounding
conductors smaller thatn #6 shall be protected from physical damage and run
in raceway......except where protected from physical damage"

For modules mounted on ground mounted racking and racking located on roofs
and structures where you can access the back of the modules we had to use #6
base copper.

I just commissioned a large array on multiple raised racking, but installed
on a raised steel structure allowing parking under the array.  Although you
would need a ladder to access, this ground wiring is exposed and visible
from below.  The inspector has not been involved "YET" , but I want to make
sure I do not allow this and the inspector later flags it.

Any of you run into this before?

Thanks,

Jeff Yago