[RE-wrenches] embedded energy in pv

Joel Davidson joel.davidson at sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 15 18:25:39 PDT 2012

It takes energy to produce, deliver and install PV.

In 1981, Bill Yerkes was asked how much energy is consumed to produce a photovoltaic cell. Bill was one of the 3 Spectrolab engineers who developed low-cost, single-crystal silicon solar cells in 1974 and founded the company that became Arco Solar in 1978. From the September 1981 issue of the Arco Solar News: "The major raw material for most solar arrays is silicon in which the newer processes consume a total of less than 2 kWh per eventual watt of solar array (compared to older processes which consumed about 19 kWh/watt). Converting metallurgical grade silicon (97 percent pure) to the high purity required for the solar cell remains the major energy investment. Fabricating the cell and manufacturing the module adds about 1 kWh per eventual watt of solar array-about 30 percent-to the energy investment. This energy investment is then returned at the rate of about 2 kWh per watt per year. The energy payback period for 1981 solar arrays, using newer processes, is two to three years."

PV production and solar cell efficiency have improved dramatically during the past 31 years. See http://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy04osti/35489.pdf

Some people use 180 kWh/day to power their home. And some wrench will use gasoline to power their pickup truck to transport people, tools and equipment to that home to install PV. Both adversely affect the environment. With patient guidance both will improve dramatically over time.

Joel Davidson