[RE-wrenches] AUO ac moudles

Dave Click daveclick at fsec.ucf.edu
Thu Feb 23 13:25:03 PST 2012

As Abraham Lincoln famously said, "I'll give it my best shot, but I'm no
Bill Brooks."

A DC ground fault is not impossible on an AC module but it's not the
issue that it is on large DC systems where numerous high-voltage
parallel strings can feed an array fault. When the unit is listed it's
tested to withstand the maximum DC current available from its power
source- that 250W-ish module. I don't see any issue with the NEC
"intent" relating to DC GFDI when 690.6(D) explicitly states that AC
modules "shall be permitted to use a single detection device to detect
only ac ground faults, and disable the array by removing ac power." (NEC
2008)

That being said, I can't quite tell what's going on with the AC wire on
that datasheet-- it seems that those wires would be dangling (even if
installed end-to-end rather than side-by-side), so I'd recommend
supporting those above the roof like you're used to doing.