[RE-wrenches] [RE Marketing] Marketing] Question about Solar Tax Credit basis

William Miller william at millersolar.com
Wed Feb 22 11:54:51 PST 2012

Colleagues:

This is related question:  How does one categorize a building that holds up
a solar array?

I am awaiting an inspection today on an installation on an agricultural
barn.  In these parts, an Ag barn does not require a permit.  We put a
solar array on the barn in 2008 and although a permit was required for the
solar, no structural engineering was required.

When we installed an expansion just recently, the building department
required a engineering study on the structural integrity of the
building.  I was told that the barn was no longer a barn once the barn is
used to hold up a PV Array.  To quote the building official:

Even though Ag-exempt buildings are required to be code compliant there is
no assurance that it was constructed as such.  To use it for other than the
stipulated purpose as defined in the ordinance of an Ag-exempt building, it
technically takes it out of that realm and thus triggers a structural
review.

In my opinion, this is BS.  That point is reinforced by the fact that we
can't take a 30% tax credit for the cost of the "PV support
structure"  (the barn).

I received a waiver on this project so we did not have to pay for a
structural review.  I now know that next time I propose a project like this
to be prepared for an extra expense.

William Miller