[RE-wrenches] Design Question re Battery Bank Sizing

Nathan Jones solardude97 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 15 11:52:34 PST 2012

Brian,
I feel like it may be too close for comfort with an unknown head pressure. There could be an awful lot of water to get moving in that pipe that could easily require a longer surge capability than the Radian specifies. Add in voltage drop on the AC side for the surge over that long drop to the pump, battery voltage drop, and possible high settings on the pressure switch, possible other loads on the Radian and things seem too close for comfort. If it were me I would want to install the soft start kit, measure start requirements with it in place, then design around that. Sounds like the savings in battery capacity alone would more than offset the price of the kit.
Nathan Jones
Power Source Solar