[RE-wrenches] Grounding Separately Derived AC System

JRQ quackkcauq at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 24 23:07:25 PST 2012

If neutrals are connected together on either side of a transformer, then there no longer is complete physical isolation. The ungrounded conductors would be isolated, but not the grounded conductors.

My interpretations is that there wouldn't have to be loads on either side for a system to be separately derived – there just has to be a current-carrying circuit on either side.

Yes. 690 is very clear about bonding between the DC and AC sides of an inverter, independent of what is in 250 (and I'm glad they've clarified the language on this in recent editions).

Jeffrey Quackenbush
NABCEP-certified PV Installer
Peripatetic Solar Technician