[RE-wrenches] Request for Gennie Recommendation

jason pozner zzyyzzx11 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 19:03:49 PST 2012

Hi Allan,

 Oversizing the unit seems to help a bit with durability in that when
operating it's at less than full output (the con is usually increase fuel
consumption). I'm guessing that at  7800' you have about 20% derate anyway,
and I believe its a bit harder to find less than 20K.  If those other units
were running often at full tilt, it might be the answer to their premature
failure.  Make sure your gas is plumbed well and the pressure is checked to
spec of the unit.  Find a knowledgeable salesperson and be sure they
understand the off grid application.  Ask specifically about the cold
weather/ altitude features you are looking for, and be certain that they
aren't reliant on something like the transfer switch (a problem we just ran
into this fall) or some other part we don't use for off grid.

  It seems as though we always have to be a bit creative dealing with the
phantom loads of either a battery charger, or carb/throat, heaters, etc.
We have never opted for the battery heaters as we just pick an over sized
gel starting battery and make certain we have a good trickle charge
mechanism to keep it topped off. It seems to be quite effective.   We have
found that either using a separate trickle charge unit on its own system (a
module on a small pole next to the unit), or just using a regular AC
trickle charger on a timer seems to work well with the charger only
energized during a few full sun hours 12:00-2:00 or so .  The Throat
heaters are a bit more tricky.  It seems like some  gen units need them
more than others.  I have clients that never need any kind of heat unit,
and others that seem to have to have the boost.  A good solution if you
need it is the Atkinson gen start module with the pre heat option.  It only
energizes for a short time as if it were a glo plug after the relay is
tripped by the gen start.  I think the Xantrex XW AGS unit has the preheat
relay already on board.

Other heads up is snow.  Even with its own enclosure, if the client isn't
there to maintain intake and exhaust clearance it can potentially choke out
with snow around the unit.  Simply raising the pad can help, maybe have a
overhang roof for snowshed. It also makes it easy for oil changes/
maintenance.

Jay

Jay Pozner
Nunatak Alternative Energy Solutions